Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/customer/www/nicholemichele.com/public_html/wp-content/plugins/copyright-licensing-tools/icopyright-functions.php on line 651
Have you tried to get your family active to no avail? Consider your approach. Sometimes forcing one idea upon them is not a great way to start. Generally speaking, people like choices and family is no different. Having more choices will more than likely equate to more commitment and lead to success. Here are some ideas to get you started:
1. Consider the characteristics of your family. There may be an uneven number of males and females. Is there an age gap among your children? You need to take gender, age, personal preference, and opinions into account. Think about individual needs and desires before broaching the subject of becoming an active family with them.
2. Meet as a family. Do not try to take this upon yourself because if you do, you may be setting yourself up for failure. Explain the importance of health and fitness. Share your enthusiasm on making it a part of your family lifestyle. Try to picture the conversation beforehand and have some answers ready for any pushback and concerns.
3. Be inclusive and request input from everyone. Let each family member come to the table with their own choice of activity.
4. Vote. Once initial conversations are over, take a vote on the most popular family activity, and begin planning.
5. Try each idea. Consider the fun of trying each idea or activity on a rotating basis? For example,
- Go bowling every Thursday night for one month.
- Alternate the following month with a round of volleyball at the beach every Saturday.
- For the bicycle lovers, choose bicycling every Sunday over the summer. Bicycling is a great family outing and gets you and your family active and moving.
6. Embrace something new. If ice skating is suggested and you are the only one who does not know how – well, maybe it is time to learn. Take a lesson or two then join the fun.
7. Show enthusiasm and commitment. By showing and keeping your enthusiasm, you will keep the positive energy flowing. While they may not have a say in the matter of whether or not they will stay active and moving, they do have a say in what they do. Once the momentum starts rolling, it will be hard to stop. Enthusiasm is contagious.
8. Check in periodically. By having regular meetings incorporating the theme of family fitness, you will set the bar high by letting your family know that this is an ongoing commitment to family fitness and not just a fleeting idea.
9. Join a club or gym. By joining a club or gym that offers family activities with something for everyone, you offer everyone the chance to exercise together in the same facility while exercising apart. It is still a fine way to incorporate family activity.
– Wishing you continued success in your fitness journey!Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2016 Nichole Michele