Squats, lunges, and deadlifts are staples in many weight-training programs for building leg muscles. Another great exercise to add into your routine are Step Ups. Step Ups not only strengthen the lower body, they engage the core and increase stabilization as well. They are effective using only bodyweight, but dumbbells can be used to increase the challenge.
Get it done:
- All you need is a sturdy chair or bench, or a staircase
- Begin in standing position with your back straight with your shoulders up and back and chest open
- Step up one foot bringing the trailing leg directly in front of you at a 90-degree angle as you balance
- Return the lifted leg to the floor
- Repeat on the other side
Here is a great instructional video to check proper form. It includes additional variations as well.
– Wishing you continued success in your fitness journey!Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2016 Nichole Michele