Super Bowl 50 is almost here! Family, friends, football and FOOD – does it get any better? Many will be busy finalizing menus and food shopping this weekend to get ready for the big event. I could provide some tips and recipes for healthy meals and low-calorie snacks, but I decided to go in another direction for two reasons:
1.It’s okay to have a cheat day every once and awhile
2.That’s exactly what I plan to do ☺
What, a cheat day? Yes, it turns out that it is not only okay, but it is often recommended.
When pursing weight loss, meal plans are structured around the lower intake of carbohydrates and fewer calories. After a period of time, your body begins to adjust and realize that it is burning more calories than what is being taken in. As a result, your body becomes more efficient and metabolism slows down. It is at this point you hear of many lamenting about hitting a plateau.
Incorporating a cheat day as a part of your fitness program may help to manage this occurrence. Occasionally eating a high calorie meal or snack will trick your body into thinking it is getting a surplus of calories which will lead to its fat-burning metabolism being ignited.
What does this mean for you? It means that there may be some things that are never truly off-limits. They just need to be scheduled. Think of it as a great way to reward yourself. It can be just the mental boost needed to keep you on track long-term.
Some things to keep in mind:
- It only a cheat DAY! It’s back on the wagon the following day.
- Don’t be surprised if what you once were able to eat may not agree with your stomach anymore.
- You may also find that what you eat and how you plan your cheat days may evolve over time as well. For example, there are some who allow themselves a cheat meal each week. Others may opt for a cheat day every other week. See what works for you and still keeps you on target for achieving your goals.
- You may still experience some guilt. Just remember that one cheat day or one cheat meal will not set you back to square one.
So, what are you looking forward to eating? Personally, I am looking forward to enjoying Three-Bean Chili and biscuits. The chips and dip will be yummy as well. I’m excited already!! Monday morning, it will be back to business as usual.
– Wishing you continued success in your fitness journey!Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2016 Nichole Michele