Lunges are a great exercise for strengthening and sculpting several muscles groups such as your quads, hamstrings, and glutes. What’s great is that they can be performed anywhere and are effective when using your bodyweight alone. Additionally, you can choose to increase intensity and difficulty by holding dumbbells in each hand or a barbell atop your neck and shoulders.
Sounds great right? Yes, but you need to ensure that you are performing them correctly to avoid injury and unwanted strain on your joints (specifically your knees). So whether you are a beginner or experienced, it’s always a good idea to check your technique.
Here are the basics:
- Upper body should be held straight with shoulders back and relaxed.
- Look forward and not down at your feet.
- Engage your core.
- Step backward with one leg and lower your hips until both knees are bent at about a 90-degree angle. Ensure front knee is directly above your ankle. Back knee does not need to touch the floor.
- Pause for a moment, then push back up to the starting position. Remember to keep your core engaged.
- Repeat with your other leg.
If you feel some strain in your knees, reduce the range of motion a bit by taking a smaller step. You will still be getting in a great workout.
Check out the video below which offers an excellent demonstration on proper technique.
– Wishing you continued success in your fitness journey!Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2016 Nichole Michele